Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Coupon Tips

So if you are a coupon newbie and need help getting started please let me know! There are many secrets to saving hundreds on your grocery bill and I want to share them with you.  Here is a few of my tips:

1) Don't pay for coupons (if possible)- Do you know anyone that gets the Sunday paper? Ask them to save the coupon inserts for you.  Do you work at a school, nursing home, hospital, etc- ask co-workers to collect inserts!

2) Get multiple coupons!!!- Refer back to tip 1, and don't clip them all. Clip one or two sets and place them in your coupon organizer. When you make your grocery list- go back and clip any extras. This tip is where you are able to stock up and really save lots of money. Scenario: You normally by a gallon bottle of laundry soap for $12. You have a $1 off coupon. Buy the smaller size that is on sale for 2.99, use 3 coupons and only pay $6 for the same amount of laundry soap!

3) Get organized- Find a way to organize your coupons that works for you. It might be a coupon box, binder, folders, envelopes, but do what works for you.  Pick a time to check out blogs, make a list, pick out needed coupons and remember that your time is money!

4) Don't buy what you don't need just because you have a coupon at the time (my exception is go ahead if it is free!). Sometimes if you hold on to that coupon you might even find a better deal down the road.

5) Don't store hop- I say this because sometimes it will cost you more time, energy, and gas money than it is worth! Once coupons become a hassle you will decrease your usage, thus decreasing your savings.  My rule of thumb is that unless there are more than 5 great deals I will not go to that store unless I happen to be driving by.

Please feel free to ask me any questions! I am doing tutoring sessions, so if you need my help just send out and SOS (Seasons of Savings- my 7 year old came up with that one :).  Invite your friends and we could make it a party!

No comments:

Post a Comment