Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Seasons of Giving

I have been told, "Well, it is easier to just go to the store and buy the off brand and it is still saving me money." While I do agree with this statement I would also have to say, after years of doing just that I have found that couponing decreased my grocery budget by about half.  Not only that but now I get name brand items and many things that is much better in quality. There are also many incentives to getting name brand products! Many companies run programs to collect labels off their products to donate to schools for them to receive extra funds. Here are a few I have heard about:

General Mills- Box Tops for Education
Campbells- Labels for Education
Sunny D- Reading Program for Labels (getting more info on this!)
Coke Products- Points for items

If you are buying the name brand product cheaper than the off brand and you are able to give to schools- I consider that a "win-win"! Also, If you can get items for free, items for mere pennies, two items for the price of one, or just a really great price it can open doors to giving! Think about the family that has had someone laid off, the elderly man down the street, your neighbor, the family at church that life has dealt them a tough card, or just the local food bank.  I have also found coupons for great toys, health items, clothing, and restaurants that I can use to treat family and friends in ways I have never been able too before.

My rule when I go grocery shopping is that when I go to the store, I try to tithe off my number of items. If I get 40 items, I give at least 4 things away. I love the feeling I get when I find a good deal but I love the feeling even more to know that God has given me so much I can give it away!

So my challenge for you is this, try couponing and ask God to help you give 5 items each month. I am excited to hear any stories! Please let us know about other programs and how they help schools to or feel free to ask questions about progams listed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment