Monday, November 1, 2010

Holiday on a Budget #1

To me Halloween is the kick of into the Holiday season. My plan is to do a few posts about how we do our holidays on a budget. So I guess this is the first installment of my first series. If anyone else has any blogs post on how you do the holidays, let me know and I'd love to share them!

So my plan this year was to spend nothing on the kids costumes (which is what we normally do). However, I made the mistake and told my 5 year old that being a Rose Fairy would be a great costume without looking through the dress up box first. I thought I had it all planned out, Elizabeth wanted to be a rubik's cube, Gabe wanted to be Thomas the Train, and Megan the Rose Fairy. However, I didn't realize that out of the three "Fairy Wings" we had- two were to small (she couldn't get her arms in them) and the other was broke.  So I spent $5 on some pink fairy wings to match the tutu and headband that Aunt Casey got her for her birthday and Megan got to be her dreamed up Rose Fairy.


Whole outfit was $5 with the addition of Aunt Casey's tutu present.
The thought that she felt special and beautiful-priceless!
She has been running around in it all day too!

Elizabeth and Gabe's took some time but were a hit! They were just boxes with paint and paper-- cost was totally free. I was amazed how many people didn't know what a rubik's cube was though : / did they miss the 80s? I enjoyed their costumes because I got to be a little creative and I got to paint and use my glue gun!

An upside down box painted black with colored contruction paper.
FYI it is hard to put candy in your bucket it the arm holes are on opposite sides.
Put them on adjacent sides for ease of use!

The string needed to be shorter because he had a hard time going up the stairs and up curbs.
First stop at Uncle Ben's and he tripped over the curb and off went the smokestack.
All was good though when he got his glow in the dark "van-tire" teeth.

Oh, and the candy we didn't like, the butterfingers, blowpops, gum, etc. Went to a candy "buy back" program to send the to the troops overseas-- $1/lb. Now the candy left will be used in cookies and muffins and as bribes to get their school work done. Flashcards are going to be flying! Don't judge- I know you've done it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment