Sunday, December 5, 2010

Holiday on a Budget: Part #3

One of my most often asked questions is, "WHY on Earth would you need that many of _____?" The fact is I do not really need 15 things of deodorant, 32 cans of evaporated milk, 20 boxes of pasta, or 15 tubes of toothpaste. But trust me when I say I know MANY people that could use them! If I can get paid to get an item, get it for free, or get it for mere cents, I will gladly get it and put a few on my shelves and the rest in the hands of someone who needs them.

Many times people will donate to food banks or missions, but many people that are hurting financially and that are really trying will not step foot in those places. The real work is done by those that are on the front lines fighting in the trenches to help those less fortunate. If you have seen it first hand you know what I am talking about. With a husband who works in the school system we see it often with the youngest in our world- and it truly breaks our hearts. Whatever the circumstances there should never be a reason for a child to go hungry. Often there are children that only eat when they have meals at school and go home to no dinner.

Poverty is something that will always exist in a broken world but that does not mean that we should relent in the fight against it- especially for children that can do nothing about it. When I was younger I remember my mother had been dealt a difficult hand one holiday season and while she had money for groceries, there would not be anything left for gifts that Christmas. That year my family was adopted by the school to have food donations given to them. While I can imagine how humbling it was for my mother to accept that, I remember that Christmas more than any other (even more so than the year my sister and I got Candyland!). We helped my mom unload the boxes it was kind of weird to see the canned pineapple and corn that my mom let us take to donate. What I remember most that there was four chocolate snack packs in the box (pudding cups!). Among the canned pumpkin and green beans were Snack Packs, name brand!- how cool was that! I remember making that pudding cup last as long as I could! My brother was excited about the cereal and he ate a bowl before we got everything put away.  With the money my mom saved on not buying groceries she was able to get us a fews gifts that Christmas but oddly I remember none of those. To whoever put those pudding cups in the donation box Thank You!

This year I hope you understand how blessed you are! I have a "budget" which means I have money. I have an electricity and gas bill which means I have a warm home. My kids may not have many presents under the tree but they know how loved they are and a full belly. I wish I could say thank you to all of those that did so much for me when I was younger! Those that took me out to eat, gave my family clothes, and for the hugs, smiles, and prayers that brighten up my life- thank you.

As a way to say thank you, I want to challenge all of my friends in the area to help me pay it forward. If you are blessed with extra this holiday, please pass it on! Every year the schools in the area adopt families, just like they did mine years ago. This year each school (in USD 434) has adopted three families to help out this Christmas. I encourage you to drop of items in the school offices for these families and give them hope and a smile this year! And remember it doesn't have to be the "traditional" Christmas items, it could be cereal and snack packs ;) For more information on how you can directly impact your neighbors in need, please contact me and find out how you can be a blessing!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, we are always looking for ways to pay it forward. Even though we are on a very tight one income budget we still find ways to help others!!
    Thanks for the link ups!! I appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete