Saturday, February 26, 2011

What are You Really Saving with Coupons?

Okay you got your receipt and it says you saved $66.32 and only spent $15.11 (yes this is one of my Dillon's receipts).  Now did I really save 83%?? No probably not. What about that Kohl's receipt that said we saved $279 but actually only spent $31? Did I really save 90% on the on clothes we needed? Pretty sure I haven't even spent that much on clothes in 5 years!

Keep in mind when I shop, I always keep in mind if it is beating Aldi price then I have gotten a good deal. I buy most of my groceries there and I used to by our tolietery items at Wal-Mart (until I go them free/cheaper at Dillon's).  If I know I can buy my kids cereal for $1.59 a box at Aldi all the time why would I go to Dillon's to buy it for $2.49?? After coupons and sales I paid .79 for that box of cereal.  So did I save a $1.70 like my receipts suggest. Well yes and no.

Truly I only saved .80 on that box of cereal.  I would never pay more than Aldi price so I know that my saving is really only under what I would normally pay. If I were to normally shop at Dillon's (or other chain store) and always pay their prices yes, I would have saved a lot of money on that box of cereal.

CEREAL SENARIO:
What Dillon's said I saved after sale and coupons: 1.70
If I would have bought it at Aldi instead of Dillon's: .90
Savings on Aldi price vs the Dillon's sale/coupon price: .80

Depending on what kind of spender you are depends on what kind of savings you truly get. Another thing to think about is did you really "save" money on something you got for free, even though you wouldn't have gotten if it wasn't? One more question: would you have spent the .34 on each tube of toothpaste if it wouldn't have been so cheap?

I guess I am saying don't look at the receipts, look at your checkbook and your cabinets to see how you are actually doing.  This helps you keep your couponing habit and your budget in check! Stores like you to think that you are "saving" so you will continue to shop there.  Because I am pretty sure that I would not have paid $310 for five pairs of my husbands jeans that we only paid a total of $31 for! Be a smart consumer, and a smart saver!

For a great book to read about saving money and being frugal in all ways get The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczn.

No comments:

Post a Comment