Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Friendship of Savings

Couponing is a great first start to reducing you grocery/household cost. But if you are interested in taking savings one step farther you can always turn to a friend. A few years ago one of my friends taught me the value of learning how to "network" with friends. Though I barely knew her but she gladly reached out to me. She handed me a "mommy card" and took me under her wing. She has been a SAHM since her first was born and knows way more about being frugal and keeping a home. There are things I learned from her I never knew were possible (like freezing bread!). Friends like that only come around every so often and I am ever so thankful to have her in this season of my life right now.

To begin "networking" you have to be able to step out. For a long time I was not exactly an outgoing person. My husband would make fun of me for not going through the drive-thru or toll booths for the fear of having to talk to a stranger.  Even though I am grateful for my days where I don't have to talk to anyone but family, I have learned that with relationships come with wisdom and sanity. First, think of ways you can branch out regularly. Is there a Bible study, a women's group, a scrapbooking club, coworkers, parents to your children's friends, or a community organization you attend or could become involved in?

Then remember to introduce yourself! I have an extremely hard time doing this and often even forget to give them my name. So I have a mommy card I have so I can hand out incase I am nervous, in a hurry, or just being forgetful. A mommy card is just a business card with my information on it. The fun part about these is that I can write stuff on the back of them and hand them to people that stop me at Dillons to ask me about coupons. Then they have answers to their questions and have a way to contact me for more help if they need it. 

Once you have established some aquaintences and have a circle of like minded thinkers- reach out. Maybe they have a garden and have bumper crop of tomatoes canned. Would they be willing to trade a few jars of canned tomatoes for a few boxes of cereal you got paid for at HyVee? Or maybe you need a babysitter and only have a bunch of shampoo and body wash you got for free at Dillons. Bartering is an excellent tool of frugality and coupons have opened that door for me.  What if you do not go to the store often but would love to help stock the pantry of a friend in need or a food bank? You might be able to save the coupons from the paper or even be willing to print internet coupons for others.

One thing I always try to remember is that there is a season for everything and that sometimes I have friends that will need more at certain times. This is important to remember because there will also be seasons when my need will be higher than my ability to give.  God is faithful to provide those people in our lives when we need them and we are also a provision from God for them.  We are created as relational people and we glorify God when we are willing to be used by Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment